We’ve launched our Queensland Space Industry Strategy ( 3.8 MB). Opportunities are growing across the globe in space capabilities and systems - and Queensland is well-positioned to further harness our enormous potential.
Watch Queensland’s Strategic Defence Advisor for Aerospace, Air Vice-Marshal Neil Hart (ret’d), as he explains the importance behind developing the strategy and how it may benefit companies and sectors across the board.
By 2025, Queensland’s space industry will be recognised as a leading centre in Australasia for launch activities, ground systems, Earth observation, niche manufacturing, robotics and automation for space.
The Queensland Space Industry Strategy informs our actions to grow Queensland’s space industry:
Strengthen Queensland’s existing capabilities by supporting:
- infrastructure capability
- human capability
- commercial capability.
Grow Queensland’s industry by connecting it to new markets:
- connecting industry to international markets
- connecting industry to the greater supply chain
- leveraging downstream industries.
The strategy is looking to the future. It aims to add between $3.5 and $6 billion to Queensland’s economy and up to 6,000 jobs by 2036.
Queensland, Australia – your next space supply chain
Queensland is an industry powerhouse with a competitive geographical edge. The state’s universities and companies are at the forefront of space research and technology.
Perfect for launch
- east coast location with access to the equator and capability to launch into multiple orbits
- home to Australia’s most advanced launch vehicle developers (Gilmour Space Technologies and Black Sky Aerospace)
- Australia’s highest concentration of aerospace manufacture and repair services
Ready to host ground stations
- radio-free regions with clear skies and coverage into the Northern and Southern Hemispheres
- remote Internet access developed to support Queensland’s resource industries
- an International Broadband Submarine Cable available from mid-2020.
Nation-leading in Earth observation
- Australia’s largest concentration of Earth-observation capability
World-class in robotics and automation
- Advanced robotics and remote asset management capability built through research, Queensland’s mining industry and the geographical need to operate remotely.
- Sky is not the limit: Building Queensland’s space economy ( 6.3 MB): Building Queensland’s space economy report – Deloitte
- Response to the Queensland Parliament enquiry into the space industry ( 74 KB)
- Queensland Aerospace 10-Year Roadmap and Action Plan ( 7.3 MB)
- Read more aboutQueensland's space industry capabilities ( 877 KB).