Funding under Building our Regions is awarded through a competitive application assessment process.
There are two classes of eligible projects under Round 5:
- construction projects
- infrastructure planning projects.
Construction and planning project applications and all required supporting documentation must be received by the relevant closing dates.
Please note that funding for construction projects will be given priority.
Local governments should submit construction projects for infrastructure that will create and sustain long-term jobs and support improvement in the liveability and economic conditions of regional communities.
These projects include construction of new infrastructure as well as the upgrade, extension or replacement of existing infrastructure.
- infrastructure to establish or expand a commercial/industrial precinct, support tourism development or events attraction, including sporting and recreational facilities
- water, sewage/wastewater, and waste infrastructure projects that provides direct economic benefit to an industrial, commercial or tourism development
- alternative/renewable energy infrastructure
- airport infrastructure
- logistics/transportation hubs
- marine infrastructure.
Projects must be capable of commencing construction by 30 April 2020.
Refer to the Round 5 guidelines ( 275 KB) for further details about how to apply.
The application and assessment process for construction projects consists of two stages:
- expression of interest (EOI)
- business case for projects shortlisted at EOI stage.
EOIs have now closed and local governments with shortlisted projects have been invited to submit their business case applications from Wednesday 30 October 2019 until Wednesday 27 November 2019.
- Guide to completing an application – round 5 business case ( 265 KB)
- Guide to the cost benefit analysis template ( 384 KB)
- Local government user portal guide ( 1.3 MB)
- Local government administrator portal guide ( 2.1 MB)
There are a number of other documents that must be provided as part of the detailed application. Templates for these are below:
- Detailed Project Plan ( 267 KB)
- Cash Flow Forecast ( 16 KB)
- Cost Benefit Analysis ( 65 KB)
- Benefits Assessment ( 381 KB)
Local governments should submit planning projects for infrastructure:
- that have the potential to contribute to economic growth, jobs and liveability, and
- where additional project planning documentation is required to support investment decisions.
Building our Regions funding will be available for local governments to engage an appropriately qualified professional service provider to develop:
- final/detailed construction/engineering design for an eligible construction project type
- a project business case (including associated supporting documentation) for an eligible construction project type to provide better clarity about investment decisions.
There is a one-stage application and assessment process for infrastructure planning projects.
Planning project applications have now closed.
Notification of successful planning projects may not occur until after announcement of successful construction projects.